Friday, July 9, 2010

Loving the Good Life

I have found myself wanting to write a blog for some time. I had two questions though; what would I call my blog and what all would I write about? This morning I read something that gave me a good idea. It is from a book written by the "Nearing" family back in 1954 called Living the Good Life: How to Live Sanely and Simply in a Troubled World. After living that life, Ms. Nearing wrote another book, a memoir, called Loving and Leaving the Good Life. These were her suggestions for living less stressfully:
  • Do the best you can, whatever arises.
  • Be at peace with yourself.
  • Find a job you enjoy.
  • Live in simple conditions; housing, food, clothing; get rid of clutter.
  • Contact nature every day; feel the earth under your feet.
  • Take physical exercise through hard work; through gardening or walking.
  • Don't worry; live one day at a time.
  • Share something every day with someone else; if you live alone, write someone; give something away; help someone else somehow.
  • Take time to wonder at life and the world; see some humor in life where you can.
  • Observe the one life in all things.
  • Be kind to the creatures.
** these I added
  • Be grateful and thankful for everything; you have enough.
  • Pray
Wow, I love those and truthfully if I could live that life…stress and worry would be unnecessary. I'd like to strive to do her suggestions. So let me put a copy of these not only in my journal and on my blog, but on my refrigerator, in my car, at my desk….reminders to live "the good life". They pretty much sum it up.
And as far as the blog….that's what it'll be called "The Good Life" and that's what it will be about!

Encourage One Another

No comments:

Post a Comment