Monday, August 5, 2013

The Birdbath

As I was feeling sad and sorry for myself this morning, God reminded me that it's sometimes the little details that make a big difference.
I had just watered my plants and filled the birdbath.  I was standing on the porch about to go in, when a Mockingbird landed on the side of the birdbath.  He started drinking, bobbing his head up and down as he did, then he just plopped his whole body in.  He began to shimmy and shake and throw water all over and around himself.  He shimmied and shook some more as water splashed out of the birdbath.  Another bird flew into the tree above him and watched.  The Mockingbird eventually felt he was good to go and flew onto a nearby limb and continued to shake and prune until he finally flew away.  In the meantime, the little tufted gray guy flew down onto the side of the bath.  He looked in and flitted around to one side or the other, as if thinking, "this thing is too deep".  He even landed in the middle once but popped right out, I guess thinking it was too deep for him.  After hopping around the entire top, he was finally brave enough to go for it and took a drink.  When he didn't fall in, he continued that same bobbing up and down to drink until he got enough and off he went.  More birds came as I watched.


I've often wondered why the water level goes down so fast after I fill the birdbath...mystery solved.
God showed me though, that if I will slow down long enough to smell the flowers, or watch the birds bathe, that life is still good, and sweet and simple.  I talk to him a lot these days.  I reach for him.  I ask for things and I thank him for things.  He reminds me that if I'll just take one day, one hour, one moment at a time, that it could make a big difference.  The big things don't look so big then.  "Listen to me and watch for me" he says, "and keep moving forward, one simple bird bath at a time".

"A joyful heart is good medicine".  Proverbs 17:22

Encourage One Another, continuing the journey on fresh paths.
Blessings and love to you, xoxo.

No comments:

Post a Comment