Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Wow, Talk About Perfect Timing

My daughter writes a blog.  This scripture was included this week.  While she did not include it for me, it was truly meant for me.  The timing couldn't have been more perfect.



Do not love this world nor the things it offers you, for when you love the world, you do not have the love of the Father in you. For the world offers only a craving for physical pleasure, a craving for everything we see, and pride in our achievements and possessions. These are not from the Father, but are from this world.
1 John 2:15-17


In preparation for my move back down south, closer to my daughter, grandson and son in law, I have been going through everything I own in order to "purge, case off, chuck, deep-six, ditch, dump, 86, exorcise, fling, pitch, purge, reject, scrap, shed, suck off, throw way, throw out, toss, unload, jettison, junk, lose and dispose" of everything I possibly can so as not to overflow the house I am moving into.  And it has been hard!  I've been through every box I brought out here over 5 years ago, some I've been through before, some not.  I've been through every picture/photo envelop and photo album I've owned since about Junior high.  I've been through every card I ever kept and every card and letter my mother EVER received.  I lived each event, happy or sad, over again.  I've been through newspaper clippings, scrapbooks, file cabinets, cedar chests and storage units.  I've gone down to the bones.  And I've thrown out tons of stuff.  Boxes and bags of stuff have gone to the dumpster.  Boxes and racks of stuff have gone to the resale shop.  I've wrapped things back up and put them in the "too go" box zillions of times even though I really wanted to keep it.  It's stuff I've gathered, loved and owned for a little while or a long time.  It's been my grandmother's, my mother's, my daughter's, my daughter's grandmother's, my friend's, and my own.  Some treasures, some not so much.  I learned a few years ago when my father died and we were able to acquire VERY little of what belonged to him from his wife at the time, that "stuff is just stuff".  What really matters is the love and the memories that go with those things.

Matthew 6:19 “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy,and where thieves break in and steal. 20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven,where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal.21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

So this is just another lesson along that same realm.  In the big picture, all of that stuff, what I've kept and what I've thrown out or gotten rid of, really doesn't matter.  What does matter is that I have all the memories that go with those things.  And what matters even more is the memories I'm going to make with my daughter, my grandson (who you know I adore), my son in law and the rest of my family, my sister, my brother in law, my nieces, my loved ones and my friends in the rest of my life.  After all, remember I am "continuing the journey...on fresh paths".  I'm going to be "refreshing" things, getting some new things, starting with some other things, and making some new memories.

So here's to leaving the past behind, the "starting over" of sorts, only it's more like starting fresh, like after a rain when everything is cool and glistening, shiny and clean.  I'm following you God.  Your in my lead.  Bring it on.  Once again, I'm stepping out of the boat!


Matthew 14:25 Shortly before dawn Jesus went out to them, walking on the lake. 26 When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. “It’s a ghost,” they said, and cried out in fear.
27 But Jesus immediately said to them: “Take courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid.”
28 “Lord, if it’s you,” Peter replied, “tell me to come to you on the water.”
29 “Come,” he said.
Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. 30 But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, “Lord, save me!”
31 Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. “You of little faith,” he said,“why did you doubt?”
32 And when they climbed into the boat, the wind died down. 33 Then those who were in the boat worshiped him, saying, “Truly you are the Son of God.”


Encourage ONe Another

1 comment:

  1. Robin, Thank you for inviting me to read your blog. It so spoke to me as I procrastinate unpacking, sorting and purging boxes that we moved last year. God is so faithful to have His word for every situation in our lives. You'd think He knew in advance that we would need these reminders. Looking forward to our friendship growing, blooming and spreading seeds. Praying for rain in west Texas. We had over 1" last night.

    ReplyDelete