Tuesday, April 9, 2013

2013 Tax Day


Every year I worry a bit about taxes, or the fact that I might not have paid enough in and owe some bucks to Uncle San. With the changes in the tax laws via the President, I was even more concerned this year.  My brother in law is kind enough to do my taxes for me. This year I was blessed.   The tax form indicated that not only would I not have to pay, but in fact, I would get a return of some $640. A big yahoo and a sigh of relief!!

I didn't think too much about it as I signed the form and sent it in to the IRS. After a few weeks, I began to think “that check ought to me coming in any time. What have I been putting off and wanting to buy?” The thought easily came to my mind of a want and a need, a sewing machine and a vacuum cleaner, in that order. I've been wanting a sewing machine for a long time. I have only had a place to put it and use it since I got my art/bedroom set up. So now I have the place. My current vacuum cleaner just doesn't work. It's not even that old, it just doesn't have any suction. It needs to go in the trash. In a country house with three carpeted rooms I need a working vacuum cleaner.

So there. Sunday I in fact wrote on my little “project/need to do/activity” list these two things...
With income tax return,
1. buy sewing machine from Walmart and
2. investigate and buy one of the Dyson Ball vacuums that has the best reviews.
Yesterday, Monday, the income tax refund arrived. Woo hoo! Yesterday, Monday, I called the local auto shop to see about getting my brakes checked. They've been making a weird noise. Truthfully, I don't know what bad brakes sound like. The car continued to stop just fine. I just didn't know what else it might be so have them checked I thought. The lady at the shop said to bring it in tomorrow, Tuesday (which is today).

So today, on my “to do in town” list, I had drop off car and deposit tax return check, in that order. So I did. I wasn't going to have time to shop for either the sewing machine or the vacuum today, but they remained on my list to do. I still needed to do a little “discovery” work on which ones to buy, which ones had the best reviews and were the easiest to operate.

As it turns out, fixing the brakes (which were worse than bad) turned out to be $460. Bummer! That only leaves about $180. I have to say I am disappointed. I was looking forward to getting these two things off the list. I was looking forward to sewing and getting something I would enjoy creating things with. I was looking forward purchasing something to create a cleaner house. I know I cannot buy the vacuum with what is left over. It's not enough.  So do I go ahead and get what I want or save a little more and get what I need, putting off the sewing machine a little longer.

I have a friend who says “I'll have to wait for my next oil check before I buy that". There will be no oil check here.

On the much more positive side, I need however, to be grateful that God provided this IRS check just in time to pay for my brakes which I obviously needed much more than a sewing machine or a vacuum. God provided just in time. That's what he does.

Philippians 4:19
And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus.


Gratitude is something I work on all the time. Being content in my circumstances is what I work on all the time. Knowing God is good, that I do know all the time.

I thank him for meeting my need, my most important need. I am truly blessed.

1 Timothy 6:17
Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment.

Encourage One Another, continuing the journey on fresh paths.
Blessings and love to you, xoxo.

(I apologize if this sounds a little too "poor me".  It's not really, it's just how I was feeling when I wrote it.)

1 comment:

  1. good thing you look on the bright side, how it was a blessing you can still brake! since i don't clean i think i would have gone for the machine, i don't sew either, but it sounds more fun then cleaning!

    ReplyDelete