Saturday, August 30, 2014

Gratitude...Sometimes It's Hard

“If we do not feel grateful for what we already have, what makes us think we’d be happy with more?” — Unknown 

When I saw this on a post this morning, I knew it was God talking to me.  I'd been listening for him this morning and he spoke to me through someone else, which he often does. After the quote it says unknown...I believe it was spoken by God.

I live in a community where oil production has become a huge industry.  While it has trashed our countryside with oil tanks and pump jacks, gravel pads and destruction of the land, our roads are littered with 18 wheelers carrying bad water, gravel and oil.  I grumble about it all under my breath.

It has however, created great wealth for many, some who already were doing financially well and some who were not.  I've often asked "why not me"?  I've judged who should get it and who should not based on their character or what I think I know about them.  Seriously?  I know nothing this side of heaven.

The truth is, it indicates I'm not grateful for what I have.  And seriously, what I have is all I need.  I'm not doing without.  I'm not hungry or thirsty.  I'm not walking naked or in torn and tattered clothes.  I'm not scraping the bottom of the barrel.  I'm not sleeping in the street.  I'm not walking 10 miles into town.  I'm not begging on a corner for money.  I am not alone without family nor am I friendless.
I've eaten breakfast this morning and had tea on the front porch of my quaint little house in the country. I'm dressed, after a good night sleep inside with the air conditioner on.  I'm ready to go where ever I need to in the car sitting in my driveway.  I kept my healthy grandson for two days and an overnight this week.  I have a pup I adore.  I'm headed to a friends for a holiday weekend.

This stuff is all temporary anyway.  The greatest prize is heaven.  I just needed a reminder.

I am blessed abundantly and I must keep my eyes on my prize.
My God is a God of many blessings.
I pray to be a child of gratitude and the greatest prize is my goal.  What more do I need?

Philippians 3:14 
I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.


Encourage One Another, continuing the journey on fresh paths.
Blessings and love to you, oxox.

No comments:

Post a Comment