Sunday, August 24, 2014

My Horse is a Little Bit Trendy

I see these fly bonnets worn by horses in all the English competitions all the time.  They often have rhinestones or jewels sewn on them and are often bright colors with lots of detail.  I think they are more for glam, but in the show circuit they are also for muffling out sound for horse's keen sense of hearing.  I, however, decided to purchase one for fly control.
We ride all through acres of country and there is one spot in a several acres located near a pond and a creek that harbor these nasty "horn" flies.  There are a bunch of them. Their bite is like a needle going into your skin.  And for some reason they mostly go for the ears on horses.  Me and my boy HATE them.  He's flicking his ears and shaking his head and I'm slapping and swatting for about 10 minutes on our ride.  Disgusting and disturbing!
So, we took this into our own hands and here is our result...
The little tassels are pretty much for decoration, however, they can also keep the flies away!  I have to say, the boy does not seem to mind it too much.  When those dastardly flies land on his ears, they cannot get through this fabric because it is not tight on his ears.  The part around his head is knitted yarn and it is too thick for them to penetrate.  Success!  We are both happier.
Where I ride, no one is used to seeing anything frivolous or fancy and everything is done just the good ole cowboy way.  Thank goodness for Mosey I'm not stuck in that ole timer way of thinking or doing things.  I'll do whatever it takes to make things better for him and for  me.
Some old cowboy at the barn said while laughing "what's that THING on your horses head?"     "Peace and serenity" I said and kept right on riding!


He got up, rebuked the wind and said to the waves, “Quiet! Be still!” Then the wind died down and it was completely calm.



Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.


Encourage One Another, continuing the journey on fresh paths.
Blessings and love to you, xoxo.

No comments:

Post a Comment