Wednesday, August 27, 2014

The Resident Toad

OK, call me easy to please, but this little find just makes me happy.
Some weeks ago I saw a big toad/frog in the yard.  I also saw a couple of small ones.  Didn't think much of it, just happy to see some bug eaters.
A week or so ago, I was sitting out on the porch after dark watching Netflix on the computer.  I heard something moving around in my flower bed.  I thought, oh no, an armadillo or skunk or SNAKE.  I grabbed my little flash light and sneakily peered over the porch looking with my flash light.  Low and behold, it was only that big ole fat toad.
On another recent day when I was watering the plants on the porch, that big fat toad jumped out of one of the pots and scared me to death (I had recently killed a Copperhead in that same flower bed).  I thought hum, that guy is living around here I'm going to have to keep my eye out for him.
As it turned out, he now lives in that same pot.  I see him almost everyday except when he has gone "out to eat".  I kept hoping to catch him out to get to photos of him, but had only seen him either out of the pot (empty) or the pot was filled with a big fat toad.
Today while watering the flower beds it was my lucky day.  They boy was seeking a snack.

I got quite a few shots but it didn't seem like the boy really liked his photo taken because he would move out of the view of my lens.

I was persistent however, and got some good views.


I could see him catching things by his movement however, I could not catch him in the act.  The funny thing is, he has to go up and down my porch steps to hunt in the flower bed and return to his home.  I think that is so cool.  I wonder things like how often does he have to eat, how long does that food last, does he drink water?  In my wondering, I gathered this information about the differences between frogs and toads.
What is the difference between Frog and Toad?
• Frogs have smooth, shiny, and permeable skin, but it is a rough, dry looking, and leathery with warts in toads.
• Frogs live in semi aquatic habitats. However, toads are more adapted to stay without water compared to frogs. In addition, toads come to water only during their breeding seasons.
• Frog has a narrow body and waist, but toad has a broader and puffy body.
• Frogs have long legs (especially hind legs) those are used for hopping and fast swimming, but toads have short legs for walking rather than hopping.
• Frogs have webbed toes but not toads.
• Frogs have teeth on their upper jaws but not teeth in toads.
Read more: http://www.differencebetween.com/difference-between-frog-and-vs-toad/#ixzz3BVhMl6Sl

I keep that pot moist as he burrows down into the pot to sleep.  Sometimes I have to look hard to even see him in the pot and sometimes he's easy to see.
I took a couple of photos of the "empty" hole in the pot.
After some time, here he is back home, full as a toad I suspect.  Look close because he's hunkered down.
I figured after this much time in residence that this guy needed a name...so "Toadster" is what I have chosen.
All he needs now is his own address!
Happy hopping.

And God said, “Let the land produce living creatures according to their kinds: the livestock, the creatures that move along the ground, and the wild animals, each according to its kind.” And it was so.






Encourage One Another, continuing the journey on fresh paths.

Blessings and love to you, xoxo.

No comments:

Post a Comment