Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Do You Remember When.....?

There's just something about the era that I was born in that intrigues me. I believe it's about the simpleness, the ease with which it appeared to me that people (my family) went through life. Truth is, they probably had as many problems as we do now. However, I was just too young to recognize them. Could also be that my parents were experts at not passing down worries and concerns to their children? Information and news was shared in a much more limited way. There was only radio and TV. And at that time, not everyone even had a TV.
Life just seemed simple and calm in my household...routine. Mom and dad left for work and my sister and I walked to school. No concerns about someone kidnapping us or accosting us along the way. We met up with friends and walking to and from school was an enjoyable, like a social event. We skipped or ran most of the way. In the afternoons we got home and enjoyed a snack of cookies or vanilla ice cream with chocolate syrup. Our mom came in a short time later to fix dinner. Growing up we always had a balanced meal. It included a meat and two vegetables, one green. The four of us sat together at the table and ate while we visited. Sometimes we watched TV. Sometimes we didn't. My sister and I really looked forward to Saturday mornings. We got up early and watched Fury and My Friend Flicka along with Mighty Mouse, the Flintstones and some other cartoons. Other TV favorites were Captain Kangaroo, Gilligan's Island, Bonanza, Rifleman, Rawhide, Have Gun Will Travel, The Life of Riley, Andy Griffith, I Love Lucy, Father Knows Best, Bewitched, Leave It To Beaver, The Courtship of Eddie's Father, Dick Van Dyke, Bachelor Father, and Lassie. Walt Disney Presents came on Sunday evenings. On Saturday night we always washed our hair for church the next morning. (I can't imagine only washing my hair once a week). Our Saturday special was steak my dad grilled outside along with baked potatoes. It was a delightful treat. Together we watched Lawrence Welk, Ed Sullivan, and Gunsmoke every Saturday night. Sundays we dressed in our Sunday best and attended Sunday School and church. Waiting for us in the oven at home we would usually have a pot roast with the chunky potatoes and carrots all cooked in the same pan. Often my grandmother would cook this same meal. My grandmother and my mom were both great cooks, however, my grandmother had that special grandmother way that just made hers extra special. Oh, and did I tell you, both of them always wore aprons. I love aprons. I still wear the last one my mom used to wear. My grandmother made it. It's not in good shape. It's sort of tattered, torn and in need of some repair. However, when I wear it, I think of my mom, of that time in my life, and how great my life was when I was young. I long for that simpleness. I seek it in my own kitchen, wearing my mom's worn out apron and watching re-runs of my favorite shows on TV Land....and fondly smile.

Encourage One Another

No comments:

Post a Comment