Tuesday, September 2, 2014

"Like a Good Neighbor....Your in Good Hands"

It's funny.  When I was thinking about a good name for this blog, two insurance commercials came into my head.  Did you recognize them...State Farm and Allstate?
The blog is about my neighbor Billy.  The first week I moved into this little house, he came over to meet me.  He was a little older than me.  He is the father of the couple who lives just behind me.  He had moved his 5th wheel in behind them and been living there a year or so.  We had a great first visit and shared about our lives.  He met my pup and they, like us, were friends from the start.  Although he walked with a cane, he offered to come over and help with anything he could or to let my pup out any time if I needed him to.  I told him I would take him up on that for sure.
It wasn't long after that that he did actually come over when I had to be away all day and let Ikey out.  Ikey really loved him.  I did ask him to occasionally let Ikey out for me and sometimes it was after dark when I got home.  He always left the front porch light on for me (Motel 6) and turned on the kitchen sink light for Ikey so he wouldn't be home in the dark.  He is truly a very sweet and thoughtful friend.
Since his family lived right there next to him he didn't really need me to do much for him, however, I would bake and take him cookies,  brownies or gingerbread or and sometimes a to go benefit dinner plate from town.  We were both grateful to each other.
In the winter he tripped in his back yard and broke some ribs.  He also had some other injuries that he didn't find out about until later.  He wasn't getting around too well so I was able to find someone else to help me (thankfully my BFF works just up the road) let Ikey out if I had to be gone.
About the time I broke my arm, he also was having trouble with his arm, the injury he discovered later.  To make a long story short he went to Cibilo to live w/ a friend and closer to a doctor and a rehab facility.  We've talked several times on the phone since then, however, I have not seen him since sometime before I broke my arm.
Today Ikey and I were just relaxing after a fun day of kayaking yesterday and there was a knock at my door.  It was my friend Billy and his friend Pat.  I was so glad to see it and it was so good to see him and meet his friend.  They didn't stay long but a long enough to catch up and find out that he is having surgery in a few weeks.  He is very reluctant which I can certainly understand, however, being in serious pain for the rest of your life is not a good option.  So he is courageously decided to try the surgery in hopes for a good outcome.  He looked really good and it was good to see him up and around but I could tell he did not feel well.  I am prayerful he has a fabulous outcome.  I got his current address and will be in touch.  I also asked Pat to let me know when he was having surgery and to stay in touch. She invited me to come visit...I loved that.  I am so grateful he has someone who is willing to help him in the difficult time and that he is willing to accept that.  Sometimes we are hard headed when it comes to such things.  Sometimes we have to let people help us...God sends us help in mysterious ways.
Their visit made my day.  That you God for sending my friend to lift my heart.

Hebrews 13:1-2 Keep on loving one another as brothers and sisters. Do not forget to show hospitality to strangers, for by so doing some people have shown hospitality to angels without knowing it.

Encourage One Another, continuing the journey on fresh paths.

Blessings and love to you, oxox!




No comments:

Post a Comment