Monday, June 25, 2012

"You Know What the Scripture Says?"

OK, moving is NOT my thing...no really, seriously, I hate moving.  I don't like to pack to go on vacation.  I don't like to pack for the weekend.  I don't like packing or moving.  Got it?  So you can imagine that when I think about moving a whole house, my house, anxiety and worry start creeping in.  I don't even know where to start, but I am not a person to put something off until the last minute.

In an attempt, however, to start somewhere I decided to start with purging first, trying to get rid of any and everything I did not plan to take with me, stuff I've accumulated after I moved here basically.  So the purging started and in one room and several closets turned into a couple of car loads to the resale shop.  No seriously, in only a small area I came up with a couple of car loads.  So you can imagine what I'm thinking.  If I came up with all this in only a couple of days, how much am I going to come up with that needs to go out of my house before I can even start packing.  I had two days that I could drop off stuff at the resale shop.  One was last Friday and the other is July 30th.  What in the WORLD am I going to do with all that stuff I come up with between now and July 30th!!!

Well, I loaded my car and dropped off the first load, stating "I'll be back with rest".  After hauling in the second load I looked at my friend Beverly, who owns the resale shop, with some tears in my eyes and said, "I am overwhelmed.  I don't know where to start or what to do.  I have so much stuff I need to get rid of before I can even start to pack.  The house I'm moving to just isn't as big.  Much of my stuff can't go.  What am I going to do".  Bev is an older gal than me.  Sweet and has a huge heart.  She is kind and reassuring about most things.  In the last 5 years since i have been here we have become friends.  She said "Robin, you know what the Bible says?"  I said "I know a lot of what it says".  She said "it says 'by worrying, you don't get any taller'!"  I thought to myself, well, no it doesn't quite say that, but that certainly is true.  Regardless it made me laugh out loud and I said, "well, then there is just absolutely no need for me to worry".  She referred me to a small mover who will load your stuff here and take it to your new home and unload it there.  She said "he is really good and will take care of you and your things".  The whole interchange lightened my mental load and I left there browsing my phone book and making a call to "Marlin Movers".  He told me he would work out a quote and give me a call back.  He also gave me some great suggestions about packing.  Buy some packing paper, some tape and some boxes, all uniform sizes at Home Depot or Lowes so they'll be easier to stack.  He said in a two bedroom house I"ll probably have about 100 boxes.  He said "if you pack 5 boxes a day you can be packed in 20 days....you have plenty of time Robin if you are not moving until August 10th".  He was very helpful and very kind.  He also calmed me down and gave me a plan.  I did exactly what he said...went to Lowes and made those purchases.  I'll also be calling a couple of local movers to see about the cost of having someone doing the loading, trucking and unloading for me.

In the meantime I called my daughter to tell her about the exchange with Bev and the scripture. We laughed about it again. I actually remembered the scripture as saying something like "worrying doesn't add a day to your life" but as it turns out the following are the scriptures in the Bible regarding worry..



  • 1 Samuel 9:5
    When they reached the district of Zuph, Saul said to the servant who was with him, “Come, let’s go back, or my father will stop thinking about the donkeys and startworrying about us.”
    1 Samuel 9:4-6 (in Context) 1 Samuel 9 (Whole Chapter) Other Translations
  • 1 Samuel 9:20
    As for the donkeys you lost three days ago, do not worry about them; they have been found. And to whom is all the desire of Israel turned, if not to you and your whole family line?”
    1 Samuel 9:19-21 (in Context) 1 Samuel 9 (Whole Chapter) Other Translations
  • Matthew 6:25
    Do Not Worry ] “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes?
    Matthew 6:24-26 (in Context) Matthew 6 (Whole Chapter) Other Translations
  • Matthew 6:27
    Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life ?
    Matthew 6:26-28 (in Context) Matthew 6 (Whole Chapter) Other Translations
  • Matthew 6:28
    “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin.
    Matthew 6:27-29 (in Context) Matthew 6 (Whole Chapter) Other Translations
  • Matthew 6:31
    So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’
    Matthew 6:30-32 (in Context) Matthew 6 (Whole Chapter) Other Translations
  • Matthew 6:34
    Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.
    Matthew 6:33-34 (in Context) Matthew 6 (Whole Chapter) Other Translations
  • Matthew 10:19
    But when they arrest you, do not worry about what to say or how to say it. At that time you will be given what to say,
    Matthew 10:18-20 (in Context) Matthew 10 (Whole Chapter) Other Translations
  • Mark 13:11
    Whenever you are arrested and brought to trial, do not worry beforehand about what to say. Just say whatever is given you at the time, for it is not you speaking, but the Holy Spirit.
    Mark 13:10-12 (in Context) Mark 13 (Whole Chapter) Other Translations
  • Luke 12:11
    “When you are brought before synagogues, rulers and authorities, do not worryabout how you will defend yourselves or what you will say,
    Luke 12:10-12 (in Context) Luke 12 (Whole Chapter) Other Translations
  • Luke 12:22
    Do Not Worry ] Then Jesus said to his disciples: “Therefore I tell you, do not worryabout your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear.
    Luke 12:21-23 (in Context) Luke 12 (Whole Chapter) Other Translations
  • Luke 12:25
    Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to your life ?
    Luke 12:24-26 (in Context) Luke 12 (Whole Chapter) Other Translations
  • Luke 12:26
    Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest?
    Luke 12:25-27 (in Context) Luke 12 (Whole Chapter) Other Translations
  • Luke 12:29
    And do not set your heart on what you will eat or drink; do not worry about it.
    Luke 12:28-30 (in Context) Luke 12 (Whole Chapter) Other Translations
  • Luke 21:14
    But make up your mind not to worry beforehand how you will defend yourselves.


  • So although there is nothing in the scripture regarding "worrying not making you any taller" I know that that will now become one of my sayings..."worrying doesn't make you any taller" to anyone who is worrying (including me).  It's like my family's other saying "there's must be a picnic table in the road" in reference to things that keep happening to delay us from doing something or getting on the road to leave for someplace until we finally get the go ahead to leave (that the picnic table is cleared out of the road).

    So, to all of us...don't worry!

    Continuing my journey...but with fresh paths.
    Encourage one another.




    No comments:

    Post a Comment