Monday, January 21, 2013

I Was Mistaken

The weather was so nice today I'm "porching".  It's been a while.

I thought the oak trees in my yard were coniferous.  Mistakenly I thought all oak trees were coniferous.  As it turns out, most oak trees are deciduous and they lose their leaves.  The unfortunate thing about my oaks is not only do they lose their leaves but they also just turn brown and fall off, they do not turn pretty colors then fall off...boo!

Ugly, currently they are just ugly as far as trees go, sprawling brown and lifeless.  Those leaves that were pretty and green are now brown and ugly all over my yard...boo again!  Don't get me wrong, I still love my house in the country, my yard and my trees...it just helps me look that much more forward to spring.  It's a ways away.  However, in Texas, we get lots of days that feel like spring, but are in the dead of winter.  Mid 70s, no wind, sunny, just perfect days to do whatever in.  


I decided not to bring my plants in this year.  I'm hopeful the days that are below freezing will be only freezing for a few hours then heat right back up.  So far so good.  They are just such a mess of dried leaves falling off to clean up all winter long.  We'll see how it goes.  So far so good.  


No photos, just take my word...brown (two words) ugly!


Genesis 2:9
The Lord God made all kinds of trees grow out of the ground—trees that were pleasing to the eye and good for food.


Encourage One Another, continuing the journey on fresh paths.  




2 comments:

  1. so all your brown leaves make a little blanket to protect against frost tender plants below, not a bad trade off ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We currently have some kind of droopy, huge pine tree in our front yard. Two huge trees at the back of the back yard...one a huge, droopy pine, and the other...just huge and leafless. Not sure yet what kind it is. I am so looking forward to spring and seeing what grows here at our new place. I am thinkin' since the snow sticks to the grass in the back yard long after it has melted everywhere else, that the back will be mostly shady this summer. Bummer...as I love a sunny yard for gardening. I will surely find a spot here and there for herbs and perhaps some snapdragons! Spring hopes eternal, I guess!

    ReplyDelete