Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Nesting Dove


Have you ever seen a dove's nest? Let me tell you, she does NOT spend a lot of time building it. She must believe and have faith that “simple is best” and that no matter what she adds she is “building her house upon a rock”. There are only a few twigs meshed together that hold the eggs. You can see right through it.

Matthew 7:25
The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock.

I kept noticing a dove flying back into the same area of an oak tree that actually is in the pasture outside the fence but the branches are on the inside of the fence. I was curious so I walked out to take a look. Sure enough, as I got closer she flew away, but I was able to locate her nest, her very fragile nest. Inside it appeared to be two very pale blue eggs. 


As I sit on the porch daily I see her flying in and out of there frequently.




I peek in at her often. She no longer really flies away when I get close. I have taken several photos of her roosting on the eggs from less than 6' away. I am so hopeful that they will hatch and I will get to see a family born and raised at my new home. That would be so cool. I need to educate myself on the time frame for a dove to hatch her eggs. It's been at least two weeks. That way I'll have a pretty good idea of when they might hatch.
We have had some pretty mighty winds blowing of late and I pray she is sitting on her eggs then and holding those light twigs in place. I have no doubt she knows what she's doing as there a many doves that live close and I see and hear them all the time. I'll keep you updated on her. I am praying for a happy ending!



God truly has given the birds of the air lessons on building homes and providing food for themselves and their family, especially in the country. I hung a bird feeder out here in the country with typical bird seed for the area in it. The birds have not touched it. It's been there three weeks. The earth provides what they need. In the city I could not keep this feeder full.

Matthew 6:25-34
[ Do Not Worry ] “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life ?

A great country life is not just for the birds!

Encourage One Another...continuing the journey on fresh paths.

No comments:

Post a Comment