Tuesday, September 25, 2012

The Ghost Dog

Mostly, he only comes out at night.



One morning very early Ikey decided to take a vigil out the bedroom window.  He was perched on my pillow RIGHT next to my face.  Ears perked, eyes wide, he watched.  I never looked at the clock and I have no idea why or how long he was there.  I was dosing off and on as he lay there.  At a point I hear this low growl.  His head picks up off the pillow.  I peer outside and there appears "the ghost dog",  BIG, sort of yellow, long haired, ambling.  I have seen him several times at night, off the side of the road usually.  On one occasion I had taken Ikey outside for his last bathroom break before bedtime.  It was very dark out.  As Ikey was still at one point, in the pasture next to us, some 100 yards away, I saw him, the ghost dog, stopped, quietly looking at us.  Then he traveled on to where ever he was going.  Ikey never saw him thankfully as I scooped him up immediately, hid his face and carried him into the yard.  Ikey would absolutely take off like a bolt of lightening after any dog (or cat) near his yard.

Now here he was again, traveling through our yard, right outside my window, like a ghost, a quiet ghost, never making a sound.  Ikey's low growl was the only noise and it continued (but no barking which was unusual) until the dog disappeared from sight.

I have spoken of this dog to someone in the neighborhood and they say he belongs to another neighbor who owns property and a house to both the south and the north of Ikey and I.  He must be traveling from one home to the other.

Let me say, I don't plan to become friendly with him.  Although he doesn't look menacing, it's just as well he doesn't stop for a visit.  We'll just leave him alone and hope he does the same.  

Judges 5:6
“In the days of Shamgar son of Anath, in the days of Jael, the highways were abandoned; travelers took to winding paths.

Encourage One Another...continuing the journey on fresh paths.



No comments:

Post a Comment