Monday, May 28, 2012

Treasure Hunting in My Own Backyard


There may be a move for me in the near future.  Today I began to measure my furniture to see what might fit in the prospective "lil" house and what I might have to part with.  Two things I'm pretty sure are not going to fit are cedar chests, one that belonged to my parents and one that belonged to my daughters paternal great grandmother.  Today I began to go through my parents to see if there is anything I could part with and maybe combine the contents of the two.  I remember when I took this chest I did not go through everything.  At the time, it was just too hard, too bittersweet.  I knew there were several family Bibles.  Today I found one for my mother, my father which originally belonged to my maternal grandfather, my maternal grandmother, my maternal great grandfather and one VERY old tiny very brittle little New Testament.  No idea who it might belong to but I'm sure it's family.  I also found my tiny white New Testament with my name in gold on the front.  My mom's is full of things that were special to her...now are very special to me.  I also found both my parents Baylor diploma's and the programs and invitations to their graduations.  Wow!  There were numerous paper clippings including weddings of others, my sister's and mine, a photo and article of me winning the trick pet contest in 1964 and a third place ribbon for another year; a horse show trophy from 1969, articles events and photos of both my parents through the years, of college, the Navy and others.  I found my  baby book, the little pink sign that was on my bassinet in the hospital, and numerous cards, drawings, from those early years.  Two of my parents marriage books, one made by my mom, the other by my grandmother.  My mother was a keeper obviously.  I am my mother's daughter.  
However, the true treasure of the hunt was part of my mother's trousseau, the white satin nightgown and robe from her wedding night.  It was folded up inside a box, very wrinkled.  As I took it out and held it up I could see how tiny it was.  I imagined my mom, tiny too, wearing it on her wedding night to my father.  As the tears rolled from my eyes, I know and remember how true and deep their love was for each other.  They were committed to each other to the end of their lives, and beyond.  I do not know what is in store for me down the road, however, I am prayerful that my daughter and her husband will know the true life long loving God-filled relationship like my parents had.  
You know how I love treasure hunting.  What treasures to find right in my own backyard.

Then the man said, “This at last is bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.” Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh. And the man and his wife were both naked and were not ashamed.

Encourage One Another



No comments:

Post a Comment