Friday, September 7, 2012

No Really, I Am Living in Mayberry or Better

Here's a little update regarding my new home.  Truthfully it's just a tiny little town in south central Texas.  However, recently if you remember I blogged about my daughter saying I was not living in "Mayberry".  Here's "the rest of the story".

I went over to meet my backdoor neighbors.  I walked over with my pup and we introduced ourselves to them when they were out working in the yard.  I actually knew the wife, Susan, some years ago and she remembered me.  I met the husband, Gary, and his grown son, Wes, who lives there part time in an RV.  The husband's dad also lives on the property but was not available that day so I did not meet him.  They were very nice and we had a good hour visit.  We discussed that the area was good for star watching especially if you turned off the guard lights.  That was on Sunday.

The following Saturday I was working out in the yard.  The dad, Billy, the other neighbor walked over to meet me...I was so appreciative.  I thought it was very "neighborly".  He's a bit older than I and also retired.  He works outside ALL the time and is constantly keeping up their yard.  He mows and picks weeds and just generally keeps their yard in tip top shape, especially for a "country" yard.  We discussed fire ants and how to kill them, snakes, gophers, our pups and had a great visit for about an hour.  We exchanged phone numbers for emergencies.  He has a few health problems so he stays at home most of the time.  He even offered to let my pup outside for me if I had to be gone long from home for a long afternoon or something.  I have taken him up on that on one occasion already.

Well, I've been out of town babysitting my grandson since Sunday evening.  Today I got a phone call from Billy just checking to be sure I was ok.  I thought that was so thoughtful and sweet.  He said he did not want to be "nosey" but he noticed my car was gone for several days and just wanted to be sure I was not sick or something.  I like the fact that we folks look out for each other; that we watch for strange cars or absent cars, slow cars and speeding cars; that we keep an eye on each others properties and if anything is awry we check into it; we wave when we drive by and speak when close enough.  We are in fact, good neighbors.  So really, where I live just might be better than Mayberry...it is truly a great place to live and I am happy to be living here, outside this little country town in south Texas.


Deuteronomy 11:18 Fix these words of mine in your hearts and minds; tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. 19 Teach them to your children, talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. 20 Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates, 21 so that your days and the days of your children may be many in the land the Lord swore to give your ancestors, as many as the days that the heavens are above the earth.


Encourage One Another...continuing the journey on fresh paths.

No comments:

Post a Comment