Tuesday, October 16, 2012

"I Can Do It Myself"

I remember reading that book to my daughter a 1000 years ago and yesterday I was saying it to myself. I guess I'm a bit lazy when it comes to doing things that need doing.  I prefer a "fix it" person, a "honey doer" or someone else to do it.  I just don't want to get the stuff out to do it.

Well last week and this week I've been trying to get some more things put up, out of boxes and organized.  I got some organizers for my scarves (actually one was for pants but I used it for scarves) and belts (found a belt hanger in a box that was my dad's and I have no idea why I kept it but I did).

 I also put this boot rack together but it only needed a screw driver.  I did read the directions as it had about 50 pieces!

Well the scarves, when hanging, took up a lot of room in my closet.  I have one other closet that had room but no rod in it.  I thought it would be a great place for those things to hang...so I went to the other closet to see how that one had been done.  I measured the empty closet free space, got out my drill and plugged in the battery to recharge it, went to McCoys, bought the bracket and the rod, came home, measured some more, drilled the hole, placed the rod and "voila", closet rod installed.
 See my drill there resting after it's hard work?

Simple really as I got the brackets that only called for one hole instead of three like the other closet (1-2 holes would be easier to measure for than 3-6 for the screws).  Ok, it's no real feat, no major deal, and almost anybody could have done it.  I guess it's just the point I got up out of my lazy self and did it.  I'm officially naming this my accessory closet!

So, I'm feeling more organized today and liking what I did the last few days.  Anything to get the rest of my things out of boxes and somehow put in a place I can find and use it is making me happy.
Next week I start this e-course called "Creatively Made Home" with some amazing gals on the internet.  I'm hoping for some great ideas for my "space/studio/art room/room I share with my grandson" when he comes to visit.  I want it to be awesome.  I want things to be visible.  I also will need for it to be practical for a 2 year old to stay in.  So we'll see how it goes.  It's the only room that is still totally in a disarray in my new home.  All my art stuff is still in cardboard boxes.  First call of action is the sleeping arrangement that will need to include a place for Baby Gray to sleep and for anyone else that might come to visit...so that's a bit of a challenge.  He is still in his crib at home.  Anyway, that room and that creation will be an ongoing story I'm sure.

God is good.  He gives us gifts we sometimes ignore, sometimes are too lazy to use and sometimes take for granted.  Using my hands and creating things is a gift and I thank God for it.  I thank Him for bringing it to my attention and letting me be successful, no matter how big or small!

So, till next time, just call me "Tim the tool man Taylor" or "Mr/Ms Fix-it" or just plain "do whatcha gotta do when there's no one else to do it".  Have drill will travel!  I have another project or two in mind and I'll keep you posted on those.  I'm pretty sure, like Ernie, "I can do it myself".
I Can Do It Myself:  Featuring Jim Henson's Sesame Street Muppets















Deuteronomy 2:7
The LORD your God has blessed you in all the work of your hands. 

Encourage one another, continuing the journey on fresh paths.

Blessings and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment