Tuesday, October 23, 2012

The Butcher, the Baker.....

Luke 4:4
Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Man shall not live on bread alone.’ ”

About a month ago I put out a request on Facebook to see if any of my friends knew anyone who made homemade bread and who might be willing to show me how.  I got a couple of suggestions but I got phone call from a friend with a solid offer to show me how to make sweet (cinnamon) rolls.  I immediately took her up on it and we set a date!
That date was last Friday.  I asked if I could bring anything along.  The only things she suggested were pecans (uh, no), raisins (uh, a BIG no) and pans.  The pans are what I took.
When I arrived we perused the recipe (which she had read over numerous times already since it had been quite some time since she had made some).
She already had just about everything set out for this event including bowls, measuring cups and spoons, ingredients, etc.  So fun.
We set about our task, each making their own "batch".
First up, bowl of liquid ingredients including milk, sugar, salt, butter;
Second bowl, warm water, yeast, sugar.
When the yeast is ready it's sort of frothy.  
Beat 2 eggs, mix/knead 7 cups flour in slowly, till no longer sticky.
 This was the fun part.  Kneading!
Linda's on the left, mine on the right.
Put in bowl to rise in a warm place, cover; resting, rising.
After a couple of hours, dough doubles, punch it down.
Rise again...roll out dough, spread with softened butter (a lot); cover with brown sugar (a lot).
When you think you have enough butter, add more; when you think you have enough brown sugar, add more.

Linda added chopped pecans to hers.
Roll up dough, cut in slices, grease pan, line pan with rolls,

Let rise, bake at 400 degrees 12-15 minutes
Icing is made of powdered sugar, tbs spoon butter, vanilla, milk or half and half (yum).
Viola!

Ice while hot then EAT!!

Oh my, heaven!
I'm hoping the friend I found who does make bread will call and make a date with me.  I'm sitting by the phone.
Till next time...

Encourage One Another, continuing the journey on fresh paths.

Footnote:  I took 85 photos; I didn't figure you wanted to see all of them!


No comments:

Post a Comment